Turkey is one destination that finds its way onto most avid travelers’ wish lists, but ask around and you’ll find that few people actually know about its real treasures.
An HSBC airport advertisement informs travelers that Turkey has three times the number of acres of vineyards as South Africa - riveting!
This should come as no surprise – after all, the country was once home to the Byzantine Empire and those Byzantinians loved their wine! It’s only fitting they’d ensure the empire’s lands were equipped to handle viticulture for centuries to come.
There are scores of little-known facts and findings to be uncovered about Turkey. Being the purveyors of wanderlust that we are, we went ahead and found a few to share with you…
1. In Turkey, your coffee can tell your future: Turkey is known the world over for its flavorful foods, but there’s no better way to end a meal than with a cup of Turkish coffee, or Turk kahvesi, which happens to also have psychic powers. Turk kahvesi refers to the method of brewing, not the type of bean used. Finely powdered roast coffee beans are boiled with sugar in a pot which, when poured into a cup, allows a layer of residue to form at the cup’s base. It's tradition for fortune tellers to cover the cup of residue with a saucer, let it get cold and thick and turn the cup upside down and around several times. The shapes that form in the cup dictate your future.
2. Turkey is the only secular country in the Islamic World: Turkey boasts a unique culture in which 99 percent of the population is of the Islamic faith, yet there is no official state religion. It’s the most religious secular country in the world – an oxymoron yes, but fact! Although open displays of religion in public buildings and by state officials are banned, the melodious call to prayer can be heard five times a day daily, and the 120 thousand-plus Christians who live there have more than 200 churches to choose from.
3. Istanbul is the only city in the world split between two continents: Thanks to Turkey’s unique geographic location, the Republic is split between the Asian continent (this portion is known as “Anatolia”) with the other half residing in Europe. Known as “Thrace,” the European half is significantly smaller and is bordered by Bulgaria and Greece. The Bosporus Strait, which runs through Istanbul, marks the split between the two continents.
4. Turkey is home to the World’s largest mosaic museum: Every great culture of the world has birthed an iconic form of art or architecture – the Italians are known for their colorful frescos, the French for their Gothic-style architecture and Byzantine people were major producers of mosaics. As the former home of the Byzantine Empire, Turkey has retained an impressive collection of historic mosaics, now housed in the Gaziantep Zeugma Mosaic Museum.
5. Forget the North Pole - Santa Claus was born in Turkey: St. Nicolas – the patron Saint known as the original Santa Claus – was born in Patara, Turkey and has a church dedicated to him in Demre, Turkey.
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
Three Festive Mardi Gras Outfit Ideas for Every EventComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Mardi Gras is upon us, and the only thing worse than not celebrating at all is to be caught in your usual jeans-and-tee combo. From office-chic cardigan sweaters to masks worthy of any masquerade ball, there’s no shortage of Shrove Tuesday apparel and accessories to help you break convention. Whether you’re powering through your 9 to 5 in New York or hitting the parade route in New Orleans, we’ve got an outfit idea for you. All hail the green, purple, and gold!...read more
Four Essential Pet-Friendly Amenities To Howl About at Your HotelComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
When the average traveler looks for a place to stay on the road, a hotel’s amenities can sway the pendulum toward that property versus another. The same can be said of pet friendly hotels. If you are traveling with Fido, you need to look out for amenities suiting not just your stay but also your pet’s stay. A lot of hotels stamp “pet-friendly” on their amenities list, without detailing the specifics. Other hotels outline a laundry list of amenities offered for pets. Regardless, pet owners looking to travel with their furry friends should be on the lookout for these pet friendly amenities....read more
5 Tips for a Seamless Destination WeddingComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
You’re tying the knot with your dream partner in your dream destination. Perfect, right? Not so fast! The reality is, a whole lot of hard work goes behind planning a destination wedding. To reap the rewards of jet setting across the globe for your big day (the stunning photos alone will be worth the trouble), here are five planning tips so you can get it right the first –and hopefully only– time....read more
London’s First Cat Café + More of This Week’s Top Travel StoriesComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
The ingenious cat lovers behind Lady Dinah’s Cat Emporium know that one is never enough. Tomorrow, Londoners will finally have a chance to fawn over too many irresistibly fluffy kittens to count. Purrfect!...read more
Four Things to Keep in Mind When Flying with a ToddlerComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Traveling with a toddler can be a harrowing experience. It can also be rewarding and fun (yes, fun!). Here are four things to keep in mind when flying with your wee one to make the experience as good as possible....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.