Keeping young travelers happy and engaged can be a challenge, especially when travel days get long. Here are my recommendations for five low-tech things that every young traveler should have in his or her backpack or carry-on bag (this is probably pretty good advice for older travelers, too!).
• A small notebook and pen. Encourage your young travelers to use their small notebook and pen to write down things that the see, experience, feel, etc. during their trip. The notebook will also come in handy for impromptu games of hangman, etc. Your young traveler can write an itinerary in the front of the notebook to keep track of where they’ve been and where they are going. They can also use the notebook to make lists of things they would like to do in specific locations.
• A paper map. Reading a map is a life skill, and what better way to learn it than while traveling? Equip your young globetrotters with maps of the cities/countries they’ll be traveling to, and encourage them to help with the navigation process.
• A good paperback (or two). A book can come in handy while trying to stave off travel boredom or relax at the end of a busy day. Have your young traveler select his or her favorite paperback (because they are lighter than hardcovers) to bring on the trip. If you don’t want to haul the finished book(s) back home with you, your child can gift them to someone he or she meets during the trip.
• Water and a snack. Meal times can be unpredictable when traveling and, as all parents know, young ones must be fed and watered regularly. For this reason, it’s a great idea for your child to pack a healthy snack (of his or her choice) and small water bottle in his or her bag. That way it’s there if they need it.
• A change of clothes. It’s a good idea to pack a basic change of clothes (shorts and a t-shirt, for example) in airplane carry-on bags (in case luggage gets lost somewhere along the way) and even in day excursion bags--- you never know when you might need them, and it’s best for your young ones to feel prepared.
Don't forget to 'LIKE' us on Facebook!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
3 Quirky New Year’s Traditions in the NetherlandsComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
In the Netherlands, the New Year is celebrated with an emphasis on quirk, where donuts, homemade cannons and icy swims make it possible to ring out the old year with the new in arguably the strangest of fashions....read more
3 Adventures To Seek On The Marshall IslandsComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
If it is remote, off the beaten path you seek, the Marshall Islands supply...read more
5 Private Hideaways Where You Can Escape the WorldComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
As fun as a city break or a vacation at some all-inclusive resort can be, sometimes the best destinations are those private hideaways off the beaten path. Here’s a look at five travel options – four islands and one boat – for avoiding the maddening crowd....read more
7 'Parks and Recreation' Locations You Can Visit in Real LifeComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Fans of the hit NBC show Parks and Recreation have been eagerly awaiting the final season since last April. With season 6 ending in a surprising (no spoilers) flash forward, every one wants to know - What will happen to Leslie Knope?! Unfortunately, there still well over a month until any of us can find out. If the anticipation is too much for you, and you have some vacation days to use up anyway, why not take a trip to Southern California to tour the real life locations of the fictional, Pawnee, Indiana?...read more
How To Say 'Merry Christmas' Around The WorldComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Just in time for Christmas, here’s how to say Merry Christmas in 16 different languages spanning all around the globe....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.