Keeping young travelers happy and engaged can be a challenge, especially when travel days get long. Here are my recommendations for five low-tech things that every young traveler should have in his or her backpack or carry-on bag (this is probably pretty good advice for older travelers, too!).
• A small notebook and pen. Encourage your young travelers to use their small notebook and pen to write down things that the see, experience, feel, etc. during their trip. The notebook will also come in handy for impromptu games of hangman, etc. Your young traveler can write an itinerary in the front of the notebook to keep track of where they’ve been and where they are going. They can also use the notebook to make lists of things they would like to do in specific locations.
• A paper map. Reading a map is a life skill, and what better way to learn it than while traveling? Equip your young globetrotters with maps of the cities/countries they’ll be traveling to, and encourage them to help with the navigation process.
• A good paperback (or two). A book can come in handy while trying to stave off travel boredom or relax at the end of a busy day. Have your young traveler select his or her favorite paperback (because they are lighter than hardcovers) to bring on the trip. If you don’t want to haul the finished book(s) back home with you, your child can gift them to someone he or she meets during the trip.
• Water and a snack. Meal times can be unpredictable when traveling and, as all parents know, young ones must be fed and watered regularly. For this reason, it’s a great idea for your child to pack a healthy snack (of his or her choice) and small water bottle in his or her bag. That way it’s there if they need it.
• A change of clothes. It’s a good idea to pack a basic change of clothes (shorts and a t-shirt, for example) in airplane carry-on bags (in case luggage gets lost somewhere along the way) and even in day excursion bags--- you never know when you might need them, and it’s best for your young ones to feel prepared.
Don't forget to 'LIKE' us on Facebook!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
5 Celebrities Who Have Mastered Airport StyleComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Dressing for the airport can be tricky, especially if you want to stay comfortable but also avoid looking like an unmade bed. Luckily for travelers, celebrities have mastered how to look chic while traveling through the airport. If you want to emulate some stars’ airport style, here are five celebrities who whisk through the airport in the greatest of fashions....read more
3 Healthy Ways to Pass the Time During a LayoverComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Even if you’re stuck at the most exciting airport on the planet, it’s still a good idea to have a few ideas for how to pass the time at the ready. Bonus points if they are healthy and will help you enjoy your trip even more!...read more
XE Currency App Even Comes in Handy When You're OfflineComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
The XE currency app enables travelers to “convert every currency on-the-go” by offering “live proprietary exchange rates and historical charts” to make calculating prices and exchange rates fast and hassle free. The app has seen more than 25 million downloads since its release, including my own. I use this app all time....read more
What To Do If Your Luggage Is Lost At The AirportComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Lost luggage is all too common of a reality for the air traveler. If you find yourself in this position, don’t panic. Here are four steps you should follow when your bag doesn’t roll down the carousel....read more
3 Markets to Visit in Seville, SpainComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Here are my suggestions for three different markets to visit while you’re in Seville. One word of advice: take your time and savor every sight, sound, smell, touch and taste. You’ll remember them for years to come....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.