When most people plan a trip to France, they head to popular destinations like Paris or Nice. However, there are plenty of cities in France, like Nantes, that can definitely hold their own against destinations that are more frequently visited by tourists. Here are five reasons to love Nantes, France (located in the northwestern Bretagne region).
1. The bars and bistros. Nantes has a great casual dining scene. A comfortable ambiance, friendly regulars, a great drink selection and tasty fare that make places like Au Coup de Canon (12, rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau), Café Cult and Webb Ellis popular hang-outs.
2. The markets. For fresh fare and unique souvenirs, head to the Marché de Talensac (at Place de Talensac)! This large covered market is open everyday except Monday, and has everything from fresh pastries to candied fruit to herbed olives. Place Viarme Market is the place to go for antiques, handicrafts and cultural curios.
3. The LU factory. The LU is a former cookie factory that’s been converted into an eclectic gathering space that includes a bar, restaurant, concert venue, gallery, and bookstore. For only 2€ you can go up one of the talk towers to take in panoramic views of the city. Check out their website for an up-to-date calendar of events.
4. The natural beauty. Nantes is built on three rivers, the Loire, the Erdre, and the Sèvre. Throughout the city, there are many green spaces (espaces vertes in French) in which many Nantais (inhabitants of Nantes) enjoy spending time outside. To experience the natural beauty of Nantes, take a stroll through the Japanese gardens at Ile de Versaille.
5. The annual festivals. Nantes is a social city, as evidenced by the annual festivals hosted there. One of the most popular is Folle Journée, a classical music festival that explores a different theme each year (it typically takes place in late January/early February). Utopiales is a science fiction festival that draws visitors from all over the world. To find out if a festival will be happening during your visit, click here.
Don't forget to 'Like us' on Facebook!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
4 Travel Lessons Learned From Christopher Columbus’ MistakesComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Before you set sail on your own travels of discovery, be sure to keep these travel lessons in mind, all learned from the mistakes of Columbus. He might have sailed the ocean blue, but he didn’t always go about travel in the best of ways....read more
5 Scan-tastic Reasons to Visit Sweden's Koster IslandsComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
About a month back I had the pleasure of visiting the Koster Islands, Sweden's most westerly populated (if only sparsely) islands. Just south of the Norwegian coast, it’s a rugged and beautiful part of the world and a great place to “get away from it all” without having to give up on any creature comforts....read more
October is National Poetry Month in Great BritainComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Throughout the month of October, Great Britain celebrates historic and contemporary poets. Founded in 2000, National Poetry Month kicks off on National Poetry Day, which is typically held on the first Thursday of October (this year it was October 2nd). The festivities continue all month long with poetry readings, book releases, library events, and educational opportunities....read more
4 Movie Travel Destinations to Visit in EuropeComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
While being a couch potato, curling up with a bowl of popcorn and a film featuring far away locales has it perks, moviegoers can truly step into the screen by visiting those film locations in person. In particular, Europe tends to make for a pretty backdrop for film and also for adventuring. Here are four film locales where you can play the part of actor or actress all while traveling through some Europe’s most appealing destinations....read more
4 Great Blogs for Travel Tech TipsComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
What's the best gear, app, camera, tablet, SIM card etc for your particular style of travel? I dunno. But maybe one of these bloggers can steer you in the right direction. Here's a list of five of the world's best blogs to read for the latest travel tech tips and trends....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.