When most people plan a trip to France, they head to popular destinations like Paris or Nice. However, there are plenty of cities in France, like Nantes, that can definitely hold their own against destinations that are more frequently visited by tourists. Here are five reasons to love Nantes, France (located in the northwestern Bretagne region).
1. The bars and bistros. Nantes has a great casual dining scene. A comfortable ambiance, friendly regulars, a great drink selection and tasty fare that make places like Au Coup de Canon (12, rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau), Café Cult and Webb Ellis popular hang-outs.
2. The markets. For fresh fare and unique souvenirs, head to the Marché de Talensac (at Place de Talensac)! This large covered market is open everyday except Monday, and has everything from fresh pastries to candied fruit to herbed olives. Place Viarme Market is the place to go for antiques, handicrafts and cultural curios.
3. The LU factory. The LU is a former cookie factory that’s been converted into an eclectic gathering space that includes a bar, restaurant, concert venue, gallery, and bookstore. For only 2€ you can go up one of the talk towers to take in panoramic views of the city. Check out their website for an up-to-date calendar of events.
4. The natural beauty. Nantes is built on three rivers, the Loire, the Erdre, and the Sèvre. Throughout the city, there are many green spaces (espaces vertes in French) in which many Nantais (inhabitants of Nantes) enjoy spending time outside. To experience the natural beauty of Nantes, take a stroll through the Japanese gardens at Ile de Versaille.
5. The annual festivals. Nantes is a social city, as evidenced by the annual festivals hosted there. One of the most popular is Folle Journée, a classical music festival that explores a different theme each year (it typically takes place in late January/early February). Utopiales is a science fiction festival that draws visitors from all over the world. To find out if a festival will be happening during your visit, click here.
Don't forget to 'Like us' on Facebook!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
5 Celebrities Who Have Mastered Airport StyleComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Dressing for the airport can be tricky, especially if you want to stay comfortable but also avoid looking like an unmade bed. Luckily for travelers, celebrities have mastered how to look chic while traveling through the airport. If you want to emulate some stars’ airport style, here are five celebrities who whisk through the airport in the greatest of fashions....read more
3 Healthy Ways to Pass the Time During a LayoverComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Even if you’re stuck at the most exciting airport on the planet, it’s still a good idea to have a few ideas for how to pass the time at the ready. Bonus points if they are healthy and will help you enjoy your trip even more!...read more
XE Currency App Even Comes in Handy When You're OfflineComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
The XE currency app enables travelers to “convert every currency on-the-go” by offering “live proprietary exchange rates and historical charts” to make calculating prices and exchange rates fast and hassle free. The app has seen more than 25 million downloads since its release, including my own. I use this app all time....read more
What To Do If Your Luggage Is Lost At The AirportComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Lost luggage is all too common of a reality for the air traveler. If you find yourself in this position, don’t panic. Here are four steps you should follow when your bag doesn’t roll down the carousel....read more
3 Markets to Visit in Seville, SpainComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Here are my suggestions for three different markets to visit while you’re in Seville. One word of advice: take your time and savor every sight, sound, smell, touch and taste. You’ll remember them for years to come....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.