When most people plan a trip to France, they head to popular destinations like Paris or Nice. However, there are plenty of cities in France, like Nantes, that can definitely hold their own against destinations that are more frequently visited by tourists. Here are five reasons to love Nantes, France (located in the northwestern Bretagne region).
1. The bars and bistros. Nantes has a great casual dining scene. A comfortable ambiance, friendly regulars, a great drink selection and tasty fare that make places like Au Coup de Canon (12, rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau), Café Cult and Webb Ellis popular hang-outs.
2. The markets. For fresh fare and unique souvenirs, head to the Marché de Talensac (at Place de Talensac)! This large covered market is open everyday except Monday, and has everything from fresh pastries to candied fruit to herbed olives. Place Viarme Market is the place to go for antiques, handicrafts and cultural curios.
3. The LU factory. The LU is a former cookie factory that’s been converted into an eclectic gathering space that includes a bar, restaurant, concert venue, gallery, and bookstore. For only 2€ you can go up one of the talk towers to take in panoramic views of the city. Check out their website for an up-to-date calendar of events.
4. The natural beauty. Nantes is built on three rivers, the Loire, the Erdre, and the Sèvre. Throughout the city, there are many green spaces (espaces vertes in French) in which many Nantais (inhabitants of Nantes) enjoy spending time outside. To experience the natural beauty of Nantes, take a stroll through the Japanese gardens at Ile de Versaille.
5. The annual festivals. Nantes is a social city, as evidenced by the annual festivals hosted there. One of the most popular is Folle Journée, a classical music festival that explores a different theme each year (it typically takes place in late January/early February). Utopiales is a science fiction festival that draws visitors from all over the world. To find out if a festival will be happening during your visit, click here.
Don't forget to 'Like us' on Facebook!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
In My Bag: Kelly’s Jordanian TreasureComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
In this blog post series, I interview world travelers about an object that came home in their bag and what it means to them. This week’s post features Kelly Moe-Rossetto, woman of the world and founder of Cardamom Collective....read more
Animal of the Week: Maya the Cat, Snapchat World TravelerComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Cats. When they’re not sleeping, eating, or peeing on your most prized possessions, they’re becoming Internet famous....read more
4 Simple Tech Tips for Airport TravelComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Traveling through an airport isn’t always sunshine and roses. It can mean shoddy Wi-Fi connections, endless hours waiting on a delay and bad meals. While the crowds, security process and bad fast food often can’t be avoided, you can make the tech side of your airport time a little more enjoyable, useful and safe....read more
Surf’s Up! ‘Jessie On a Journey’ Talks Exotic Beach VacationsComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Planning a vacation for two can be as seamless as your love. We asked pro wanderer and OneTravel Twitter chat co-host Jessie Festa of Jessie On a Journey to share her best summer packing tips, favorite exotic beaches, and the sand-loving bloggers you can’t afford NOT to follow....read more
7 Sound Suggestions for Listening to Live Music in LouisianaComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
The state of Louisiana is home to a rich musical tradition. Blues, funk, jazz, zydeco, rock 'n' roll, country – it's all-American music and every style has its roots in this corner of the world. Headed down to Dixie for a taste of live music but in a jam as to where you should go? Here's a quick list of great venues across the state to help you play it by ear like a pro....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.