When most people plan a trip to France, they head to popular destinations like Paris or Nice. However, there are plenty of cities in France, like Nantes, that can definitely hold their own against destinations that are more frequently visited by tourists. Here are five reasons to love Nantes, France (located in the northwestern Bretagne region).
1. The bars and bistros. Nantes has a great casual dining scene. A comfortable ambiance, friendly regulars, a great drink selection and tasty fare that make places like Au Coup de Canon (12, rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau), Café Cult and Webb Ellis popular hang-outs.
2. The markets. For fresh fare and unique souvenirs, head to the Marché de Talensac (at Place de Talensac)! This large covered market is open everyday except Monday, and has everything from fresh pastries to candied fruit to herbed olives. Place Viarme Market is the place to go for antiques, handicrafts and cultural curios.
3. The LU factory. The LU is a former cookie factory that’s been converted into an eclectic gathering space that includes a bar, restaurant, concert venue, gallery, and bookstore. For only 2€ you can go up one of the talk towers to take in panoramic views of the city. Check out their website for an up-to-date calendar of events.
4. The natural beauty. Nantes is built on three rivers, the Loire, the Erdre, and the Sèvre. Throughout the city, there are many green spaces (espaces vertes in French) in which many Nantais (inhabitants of Nantes) enjoy spending time outside. To experience the natural beauty of Nantes, take a stroll through the Japanese gardens at Ile de Versaille.
5. The annual festivals. Nantes is a social city, as evidenced by the annual festivals hosted there. One of the most popular is Folle Journée, a classical music festival that explores a different theme each year (it typically takes place in late January/early February). Utopiales is a science fiction festival that draws visitors from all over the world. To find out if a festival will be happening during your visit, click here.
Don't forget to 'Like us' on Facebook!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
3 European Cities That Are Super Easy to NavigateComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Big, foreign cities can be intimidating - but the public transit can make things so much easier!...read more
Hotel Cancellation Policies: Read the Fine PrintComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
What to know before you book, in case of last minute travel changes....read more
4 of the World’s Weirdest MuseumsComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
They might not be the most educational (or are they?), but they'll definitely be interesting!...read more
4 Simple Ways To Make Friends AbroadComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Meeting new people is half the fun of travel!...read more
6 Amazing Bookstores to Browse Around the WorldComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Love a good book? Love to support independent shops? Love to travel? This post is for you!...read more
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2015 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #602785938, Florida: SOT #ST38063