When most people plan a trip to France, they head to popular destinations like Paris or Nice. However, there are plenty of cities in France, like Nantes, that can definitely hold their own against destinations that are more frequently visited by tourists. Here are five reasons to love Nantes, France (located in the northwestern Bretagne region).
1. The bars and bistros. Nantes has a great casual dining scene. A comfortable ambiance, friendly regulars, a great drink selection and tasty fare that make places like Au Coup de Canon (12, rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau), Café Cult and Webb Ellis popular hang-outs.
2. The markets. For fresh fare and unique souvenirs, head to the Marché de Talensac (at Place de Talensac)! This large covered market is open everyday except Monday, and has everything from fresh pastries to candied fruit to herbed olives. Place Viarme Market is the place to go for antiques, handicrafts and cultural curios.
3. The LU factory. The LU is a former cookie factory that’s been converted into an eclectic gathering space that includes a bar, restaurant, concert venue, gallery, and bookstore. For only 2€ you can go up one of the talk towers to take in panoramic views of the city. Check out their website for an up-to-date calendar of events.
4. The natural beauty. Nantes is built on three rivers, the Loire, the Erdre, and the Sèvre. Throughout the city, there are many green spaces (espaces vertes in French) in which many Nantais (inhabitants of Nantes) enjoy spending time outside. To experience the natural beauty of Nantes, take a stroll through the Japanese gardens at Ile de Versaille.
5. The annual festivals. Nantes is a social city, as evidenced by the annual festivals hosted there. One of the most popular is Folle Journée, a classical music festival that explores a different theme each year (it typically takes place in late January/early February). Utopiales is a science fiction festival that draws visitors from all over the world. To find out if a festival will be happening during your visit, click here.
Don't forget to 'Like us' on Facebook!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
4 Costs To Axe From Your Thanksgiving TravelsComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
With Thanksgiving under a week away, by now, you most likely have your flight booked. While you might think the costs of your Thanksgiving travels are behind you on that credit card you used to purchase the tickets months ago, you might be in for a rude awakening. Before you take off, here are a few easy ways to cut the additional costs from your Thanksgiving travels....read more
Venice Salute FestivalComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
For Venetians, the 21st of November is an important date. It’s the day the city celebrates the Madonna della Salute festival, which commemorates the founding in 1630 of the church of Santa Maria della Salute (“Madonna of Health”). The church is more commonly known as Salute, as is the festival as well. During the festival, the area around the church is beautifully lit by thousands of candles brought by the many people going to pray to the Virgin Mary with vendors lined up along the way to the church selling candles and a variety of sweets....read more
5 Smoke-Free U.S. Cities to VisitComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
As a parent, I appreciate places where I can bring my kid without having to worry about second-hand cigarette smoke. Smoke-free cities have no-smoking laws that apply to restaurants/bars, workplaces, public buildings/grounds and city parks (as well as other areas around the city). The cities on this list also have extensive anti-smoking campaigns, as well as programs to help people stop smoking. In celebration of The Great American Smoke-Out, here are five of the most smoke-free U.S. cities to add to your list of places to visit....read more
3 Winter Festivals To Attend in Puerto RicoComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Puerto Rico might be on your radar for sunshine and palm trees, but it shouldn’t be counted out for a winter getaway. There might not be snow softly falling on pine trees, but the island gets into the spirit of winter with a number of celebrations. If you are in need of a winter escape, try Puerto Rico, specifically to attend one of its lively winter festivals....read more
5 Fascinating New Zealand MuseumsComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
There are plenty of reasons to visit New Zealand – the natural beauty, diverse cultures, and unique cuisine being a few of them. New Zealand is also home to world-class museums where visitors can learn more about art, history and even sheep farming! Here are five to check out....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.