When most people plan a trip to France, they head to popular destinations like Paris or Nice. However, there are plenty of cities in France, like Nantes, that can definitely hold their own against destinations that are more frequently visited by tourists. Here are five reasons to love Nantes, France (located in the northwestern Bretagne region).
1. The bars and bistros. Nantes has a great casual dining scene. A comfortable ambiance, friendly regulars, a great drink selection and tasty fare that make places like Au Coup de Canon (12, rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau), Café Cult and Webb Ellis popular hang-outs.
2. The markets. For fresh fare and unique souvenirs, head to the Marché de Talensac (at Place de Talensac)! This large covered market is open everyday except Monday, and has everything from fresh pastries to candied fruit to herbed olives. Place Viarme Market is the place to go for antiques, handicrafts and cultural curios.
3. The LU factory. The LU is a former cookie factory that’s been converted into an eclectic gathering space that includes a bar, restaurant, concert venue, gallery, and bookstore. For only 2€ you can go up one of the talk towers to take in panoramic views of the city. Check out their website for an up-to-date calendar of events.
4. The natural beauty. Nantes is built on three rivers, the Loire, the Erdre, and the Sèvre. Throughout the city, there are many green spaces (espaces vertes in French) in which many Nantais (inhabitants of Nantes) enjoy spending time outside. To experience the natural beauty of Nantes, take a stroll through the Japanese gardens at Ile de Versaille.
5. The annual festivals. Nantes is a social city, as evidenced by the annual festivals hosted there. One of the most popular is Folle Journée, a classical music festival that explores a different theme each year (it typically takes place in late January/early February). Utopiales is a science fiction festival that draws visitors from all over the world. To find out if a festival will be happening during your visit, click here.
Don't forget to 'Like us' on Facebook!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
Happy National Ice Cream Day! 5 Facts You Didn’t Know About the Chillest Dessert AroundComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
National Ice Cream Day –also known as literally the perfect excuse to eat a heaping scoop of ice cream –is this Sundae (pun intended). To celebrate, here are five things BuzzFeed scooped up about our favorite frozen dessert....read more
3 Things to Do in Kyoto, JapanComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Kyoto is on my top ten list of favorite cities I’ve visited. From the historic temples to the top-notch restaurants, I was completely enthralled with Kyoto’s beauty and depth. I can’t wait to get back there. Until I do, please enjoy these three quintessential Kyoto activities for me, okay?...read more
7 Obscure Historical Terms for Gettin’ LuckyComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Who else is planning to dance the Paphian jig this weekend?...read more
12 Hours in Venice, CaliforniaComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
When I lived in West Hollywood, I frequently drove out to Venice to spend the day. Now that I live in Minnesota, when I go back to California each year, I make sure to build in a day to enjoy my old stomping grounds. There’s so much more to Venice than it’s famous beach. In fact, I usually head inland to Abbott Kinney Boulevard. Here are my recommendations for how to spend twelve hours in Venice....read more
Check Please! How To Ask For The Bill in 13 LanguagesComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Here is how you can ask for the check in thirteen languages. By knowing how to ask for the bill, you can avoid waiting at your table for hours on end without being given the check....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.