Congratulations! There’s a wee one on the way, but that doesn’t mean you have to slow down your traveling just yet. Many women travel safely and happily while pregnant. Here are five things to consider while planning a trip when you’re expecting.
1) Consult with your physician. Before planning a long trip or a trip involving air travel, make sure you get the thumbs up from your doctor. General guidelines state that a woman should not fly after the 36th week of pregnancy (and most airlines strictly enforce this rule). However, there may be other health factors that limit a pregnant woman’s ability to safely travel by plane. Depending on your destination, there may be vaccines you need to have or other health-related concerns. Your physician will be able to clarify these issues and solutions, leaving you feeling confident and ready for your trip.
2) Stay nourished and hydrated. It’s very important that pregnant travelers stay on top of their hydration and nutrition while traveling. Always carry a water bottle and pack a variety of snacks for the plane, car or train. If you are traveling in the first trimester and experiencing morning sickness, keeping food in your stomach and staying well hydrated may help in staving off nausea and allow you to enjoy your trip to the fullest.
3) Wear comfortable shoes. Now is probably not the time for stilettos and wedges. Even though it may be tempting to put on fancy (read: uncomfortable) shoes for a dinner out, this could lead to foot pain and fatigue, which could definitely change your evening plans. Give your feet the support they need to support you and your baby during your trip.
4) Be sure to rest. It is a good idea to build rest time like a nap or sitting poolside with lemonade and a good book into your schedule. Don’t overschedule yourself, that way you won’t have to cancel plans if you find that you are tired. Factor in transportation time when planning your day. A two hour trip to the museum can easily turn into a three hour trip when you account for driving and parking time. Of course, your energy level will depend on many factors, not least of which is how far along you are in your pregnancy.
5) Limit your exposure to extreme temperatures. Extremely hot and cold temperatures can wreak havoc on your system.Do your body a favor and always dress appropriately for the weather. Wear a hat and sunscreen if you are spending time outdoors, and limit the time you spend in direct sunlight.
Wishing you a safe, fun trip, mama-to-be!
Follow us on Twitter for more family travel tips!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
5 Interesting Facts About Flight AttendantsComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
When I was younger, I often fantasized about being a flight attendant when I grew up. It wasn’t until I started traveling as an adult that I realized how hard flight attendants work. So, as an homage to these hosts and hostesses of the sky, here are five interesting facts about flight attendants....read more
5 Ways To Save Money on Travels in GermanyComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
After spending a month in Spain, I touched down to Germany where my wallet received a rude awakening. Not only could I not find places to stay in a reasonable budget, but I also found costs in the country added up quickly. If I could do it all over again, I would have initially embraced these five ways to save money on a trip in Germany....read more
7 Things I've Learned about Air TravelComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Four flights and three countries in under a week – that's how my calendar's shaping up for the last bit of this month. So, in addition to all the stuff I'm packing in my suitcase, I'm going to bring the following time tested observations along with me....read more
Win a Trip to One of These Amazing Destinations in Asia!Comments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
When plotting a trip to Asia, it can be difficult for travelers to know which points on the map they should include as part of their itineraries. Most nomads begin with those cities in Asia with stand out highlights and attractions. Here are six cities in Asia that pack in the grand allures....read more
Win a Trip with OneTravel and Etihad AirwaysComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Oh, the places you’ll go! Whether you dream of strolling down Kochi’s historic Princess Street or gazing across Hong Kong’s glittering harbor, you could be a simple vote away from the trip of a lifetime....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.