A few years ago I decided to travel to Europe for a two month stay solo. I remember sitting in my coach seat, getting lost in what was then Radiohead’s new album, and it dawned on me, I was about to embark on an 8 week European adventure alone.
My heart kind of sank, and I started questioning whether I had made the right decision. Of course when I arrived in Athens and began exploring I realized that being by my lonesome didn’t actually mean I had to feel lonely. These are some of the ways I got through my solo journey without singing the travelin’ blues.
1) Keep a journal: Whether you’re documenting your travel experiences or simply your feelings, a journal ensures that you’re never really alone. It not only enables you to end your trip with a great account of what went on during your journey, but it also gives you the chance to vent and reflect without any worry of being judged.
2) Talk to people: Just because you’re alone, doesn’t mean you have to be anti-social. If you spot another solo traveler, strike up a convo! You may find they have some valuable travel advice to offer, or maybe an adventurous tale to share. Regardless, the human interaction will feel good. Don’t be too shy when it comes to approaching groups either; you may walk away with some great new friendships.
3) Participate: Seek out some solo traveler activities. This will remind you that you’re not the only one out there who ventured out to explore the world alone. Look for tours, specials, and other things that cater to solo travelers.
4) Stay in a hostel: Even if your goal is to stay introverted, staying in a hostel will ensure that you’re surrounded by people. You don’t necessarily have to interact too much with those around you, but having other travelers around you, will prevent you from feeling alone.
5) Stay connected: Update those at home on your travel experiences. Let them know how you’re doing, see how they’re doing, etc. With social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, it’s almost impossible to ever really feel lonely these days. If you have a blog, keep your readers posted! Just knowing that someone else is participating in your experience will help to keep you feeling connected. Chat with your friends from back home if you’re feeling bummed out one day. Just remember, you didn’t come all this way to sit in front of a computer screen! So while social media interactions are helpful, get out there and explore as much as possible!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
It’s All Greek To Me! 11 Greek Words To MasterComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
While mastering Greek would involve some serious studying of the Greek alphabet, there are several words you can master right off the bat, that will help your travels in Greece....read more
4 Travel-Themed Films to See at Sundance 2015Comments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
Sundance Film Festival is on again, bringing Hollywood glamour to an otherwise quiet mountain town in Utah....read more
The Top 3 Places to Visit in SwedenComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Here are just three must-see stops for any journey to the land of ice and snow....read more
How To Not Look Like a Tourist in MilanComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Not every tourist blends into this fashion capital. Here are a few ways to make the transition from tourist to local in Milan....read more
5 U.S. Airport Improvements for 2015Comments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
From better transportation to new dining options, here are some of the most impressive improvements in 5 airports across the U.S....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.