Dining out at a nice restaurant in Paris is something everyone should experience. Even though most Parisian waiters a well acquainted with the dining habits of American tourists, it’s important to remain aware and respectful of French dining norms and etiquette. Here are some things to keep in mind:
• Take your time. In France, meals are considered an “event,” and something to be savored. Although there are plenty of places to get “fast food” in France, don’t expect to be served a quick “in and out” meal in a restaurant. In most restaurants, you should count on an hour to an hour and a half for lunch and two to three hours for dinner.
• Be aware of meal times. In France, lunch is normally served from 12-2. Most restaurants don't open until 7:00 to 7:30 pm for dinner and won't get crowded until 8:00 or 8:30, the time when most Parisians dine.
• Communicate (politely) with your server. When your server comes to the table, he or she will greet you. Greet him or her in return (a simple “bonjour” will do). When he or she brings you things, thank your server by saying “merci.”
• Paying the bill. At the end of the meal, French waiters don’t bring the check until you ask for it. You can say “l’addition, s’il vous plait,” or gesture for the check—make the motion of writing out a check in the air. Be prepared for the bill to be a bit more than you anticipated. The TVA (luxury tax that is applied to dining out is 19%.
• Tips on tipping. By law, a service charge is included in all restaurants bills. Also, most waiters in France are salaried (unlike most American waiters who work for minimum wage. French waiters also have health care, paid vacations, and retirement benefits--- the service charge is used to cover these salaries and benefits. Since gratuity is included in your bill, you are not expected to leave a tip. However, if the service was particularly good, it is customary to leave a few Euros.
Don't forget to 'LIKE' us on Facebook!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
Celebrate iPod’s Birthday with the Ultimate Travel PlaylistComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Ever ‘built’ a perfect playlist for a vacation or road trip? Here’s a quick list of classic songs with epic ‘road lyrics’ to add to the mix and help you get in the mood for your next big adventure....read more
5 Essential Tips To Make Languages Easier To LearnComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
If you are struggling with learning a language or just thinking about picking up a new language, be sure you practice these five tips to make learning a little easier....read more
Heathrow Airport: Some Facts and FiguresComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
Heathrow – it’s the airport I’m most apt to fly in and out of. Considering how much time I spend there, I thought it might be worthwhile to learn a bit more about the place. So, I took a moment to dig around online for some Heathrow facts and figures. Here’s a list of some of the more interesting bits of trivia I discovered....read more
European Politeness! How To Say ‘Please’ All Over EuropeComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Just as your mother probably taught you, being polite can go a long way, especially if you are traveling a long way around Europe. Before you take off, be sure you know how to say please all around the continent....read more
An Unusual Cup of Joe: 4 Unique Coffee Shops To Get Your Caffeine FixComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
From coffee houses that are part bicycle shop to those that infuse their coffee with Coca-Cola or shut off the Wi-Fi, here are four unique coffee shops across the country to get your caffeine fix....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.