Whether you’re taking a road trip or an international flight, traveling with young children can be both a challenge and a joy. Here are five things to bring with you to add more points to the “joy column” when traveling with youngsters.
1. Distractions. Travel time (by car, train, plane, etc.) can be, let’s face it, kind of boring. Of course, most adults would call this time relaxing. And it still can be, even with youngsters by your side. The key is bringing enough distractions (books, art materials, iPad, etc.) to provide them with something to do. You can even turn this into a learning experience if you encourage them to read or make art about the place you’re traveling to.
2. Nourishment. Healthy snacks are the key to keeping blood sugar levels balanced and kids happy while traveling. Some of my favorites include fresh or dried fruit, natural snack bars, nuts, peanut butter sandwiches, and string cheese. Be sure to pack water and juice boxes too, to keep those little bodies hydrated.
3. First Aid Materials. I learned this one the hard way. Injuries happen when you least expect them to, so it’s good to be prepared. I travel with a small, easily accessible first aid kit that contains Band-Aids, Neosporin, anti-itch cream, and children’s Tylenol or Advil. IF your children have allergies, this would be a great place to keep epiPens or any other medication he or she might need.
4. Extras. Another thing I learned the hard way; always bring extras. This especially holds true for clothes and snacks. Kleenex, diapers, wipes, and other disposables also fall into this category. Think about the length of your travel time and estimate what you’ll need. Then add more.
5. Patience. Sometimes it’s easier said than done, but it’s important to be extra patient with little ones on travel days. Travel can be challenging for everyone, but especially for youngsters who are shaken out of their routines and asked to sit (or stand, or walk) for long periods of time. Being patient with them will help make the journey more pleasant for everyone.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
5 Unique Airports Around The WorldComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
On paper, an airport is a humdrum place. Countless travelers pass through airports each and every day. While some of these crossroads on the map are as one would expect, others are much more than containers of grouchy passengers, bad food and countless magazine stands. From out-there runways to terminals just for royalty, here are a few of the world’s most unique airports....read more
3 Affordable Cameras To Take on Your Next TripComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
In order to remember your travels, you must either possess a steel trap of a mind or a nice camera. Some travelers lug around bulky and large DSLR cameras to take the very best photographs of their travels. Others merely pull out their smartphones and concede their phone takes “good enough” photographs for travel. However, if you fall somewhere in the middle in that you want to take high quality photographs on your worldly adventures but you don’t want to spend an arm and a leg to do so, there are a number of cameras on the market that can capture those travel memories without costing the price of a small vacation....read more
Foodie Friday: Italian Gelato RecipeComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
You don’t have to trek to Rome for a serving (or two) of the cold, creamy goodness known as gelato. Bring the taste of Italy to your dessert table with this simple recipe....read more
A Unique Jewelry Collector’s Guide to New YorkComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
One of my favorite things to do when visiting the Big Apple is to splurge on unique, stunning jewelry pieces. It’s no secret that New York boasts a robust independent jewelry design scene, which bodes well for discerning collectors like myself. Here are my top five suggestions for where to get your adornment on in NYC....read more
Ai Weiwei at Lisson Gallery, LondonComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
Just announced are the details of an upcoming exhibition by firebrand artist, Ai Weiwei, at London's renowned Lisson Gallery....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.