Whether you’re taking a road trip or an international flight, traveling with young children can be both a challenge and a joy. Here are five things to bring with you to add more points to the “joy column” when traveling with youngsters.
1. Distractions. Travel time (by car, train, plane, etc.) can be, let’s face it, kind of boring. Of course, most adults would call this time relaxing. And it still can be, even with youngsters by your side. The key is bringing enough distractions (books, art materials, iPad, etc.) to provide them with something to do. You can even turn this into a learning experience if you encourage them to read or make art about the place you’re traveling to.
2. Nourishment. Healthy snacks are the key to keeping blood sugar levels balanced and kids happy while traveling. Some of my favorites include fresh or dried fruit, natural snack bars, nuts, peanut butter sandwiches, and string cheese. Be sure to pack water and juice boxes too, to keep those little bodies hydrated.
3. First Aid Materials. I learned this one the hard way. Injuries happen when you least expect them to, so it’s good to be prepared. I travel with a small, easily accessible first aid kit that contains Band-Aids, Neosporin, anti-itch cream, and children’s Tylenol or Advil. IF your children have allergies, this would be a great place to keep epiPens or any other medication he or she might need.
4. Extras. Another thing I learned the hard way; always bring extras. This especially holds true for clothes and snacks. Kleenex, diapers, wipes, and other disposables also fall into this category. Think about the length of your travel time and estimate what you’ll need. Then add more.
5. Patience. Sometimes it’s easier said than done, but it’s important to be extra patient with little ones on travel days. Travel can be challenging for everyone, but especially for youngsters who are shaken out of their routines and asked to sit (or stand, or walk) for long periods of time. Being patient with them will help make the journey more pleasant for everyone.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
3 Spots for Art Lovers in Mexico CityComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Mexico City is one of the most fascinating places I’ve visited, in large part because of its thriving art scene that is at once rooted in history and constantly changing. Whether you’re in the mood to browse or to buy, here are three spots that art lovers should definitely check out....read more
Celebrate iPod’s Birthday with the Ultimate Travel PlaylistComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Ever ‘built’ a perfect playlist for a vacation or road trip? Here’s a quick list of classic songs with epic ‘road lyrics’ to add to the mix and help you get in the mood for your next big adventure....read more
5 Essential Tips To Make Languages Easier To LearnComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
If you are struggling with learning a language or just thinking about picking up a new language, be sure you practice these five tips to make learning a little easier....read more
Heathrow Airport: Some Facts and FiguresComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
Heathrow – it’s the airport I’m most apt to fly in and out of. Considering how much time I spend there, I thought it might be worthwhile to learn a bit more about the place. So, I took a moment to dig around online for some Heathrow facts and figures. Here’s a list of some of the more interesting bits of trivia I discovered....read more
European Politeness! How To Say ‘Please’ All Over EuropeComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Just as your mother probably taught you, being polite can go a long way, especially if you are traveling a long way around Europe. Before you take off, be sure you know how to say please all around the continent....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.