Whether you’re taking a road trip or an international flight, traveling with young children can be both a challenge and a joy. Here are five things to bring with you to add more points to the “joy column” when traveling with youngsters.
1. Distractions. Travel time (by car, train, plane, etc.) can be, let’s face it, kind of boring. Of course, most adults would call this time relaxing. And it still can be, even with youngsters by your side. The key is bringing enough distractions (books, art materials, iPad, etc.) to provide them with something to do. You can even turn this into a learning experience if you encourage them to read or make art about the place you’re traveling to.
2. Nourishment. Healthy snacks are the key to keeping blood sugar levels balanced and kids happy while traveling. Some of my favorites include fresh or dried fruit, natural snack bars, nuts, peanut butter sandwiches, and string cheese. Be sure to pack water and juice boxes too, to keep those little bodies hydrated.
3. First Aid Materials. I learned this one the hard way. Injuries happen when you least expect them to, so it’s good to be prepared. I travel with a small, easily accessible first aid kit that contains Band-Aids, Neosporin, anti-itch cream, and children’s Tylenol or Advil. IF your children have allergies, this would be a great place to keep epiPens or any other medication he or she might need.
4. Extras. Another thing I learned the hard way; always bring extras. This especially holds true for clothes and snacks. Kleenex, diapers, wipes, and other disposables also fall into this category. Think about the length of your travel time and estimate what you’ll need. Then add more.
5. Patience. Sometimes it’s easier said than done, but it’s important to be extra patient with little ones on travel days. Travel can be challenging for everyone, but especially for youngsters who are shaken out of their routines and asked to sit (or stand, or walk) for long periods of time. Being patient with them will help make the journey more pleasant for everyone.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
Amazing Adult-Only Vacation Ideas + More of This Week’s Top Travel StoriesComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Tired of drunken college students having all the fun? You deserve a vacation, stat. Here are 12 last-minute ideas to take your March from drab to fab....read more
Five Ways to Beat Boredom on a Long FlightComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Long flights can be incredibly boring, but only if you let them. As my life gets busier, I view long flights as a way to decompress and do all of the things that I don’t allow myself time to do when I’m on the ground. Here are three ideas for beating boredom on your next long flight....read more
Five Items Women Should Always Keep in a Carry-on BagComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
After carefully packing her weekend bag for a trip to San Francisco, my mom faced quite the packing challenge. My dad had neglected to place their suitcase in the car on their way to the airport, leaving them both without anything to wear for 48 hours. With an arrival time in San Francisco of late evening, they were left with few options to pick up clothes to wear for the weekend. A number of things can go wrong when you pack for a vacation or trip. Your bag can be lost for days. Your husband could forget to put said bag in the car. To combat the potential hiccup in the road, women can make their arrival much smoother if they merely have these five staples in their carry-on bag....read more
4 French Quarter Shops for Fun and Funky NOLA GiftsComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
In Nawlins for Mardi Gras and feeling guilty because certain friends, family members or colleagues couldn't come with you to enjoy all the fun? Or maybe you're hoping to rub it in about what a great time you had once you're back? Here's the low down on four fantastic French Quarter shops selling gifts that'll help you make generous amends or rile the envy others accordingly....read more
Three Festive Mardi Gras Outfit Ideas for Every EventComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Mardi Gras is upon us, and the only thing worse than not celebrating at all is to be caught in your usual jeans-and-tee combo. From office-chic cardigan sweaters to masks worthy of any masquerade ball, there’s no shortage of Shrove Tuesday apparel and accessories to help you break convention. Whether you’re powering through your 9 to 5 in New York or hitting the parade route in New Orleans, we’ve got an outfit idea for you. All hail the green, purple, and gold!...read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.