Whether you’re taking a road trip or an international flight, traveling with young children can be both a challenge and a joy. Here are five things to bring with you to add more points to the “joy column” when traveling with youngsters.
1. Distractions. Travel time (by car, train, plane, etc.) can be, let’s face it, kind of boring. Of course, most adults would call this time relaxing. And it still can be, even with youngsters by your side. The key is bringing enough distractions (books, art materials, iPad, etc.) to provide them with something to do. You can even turn this into a learning experience if you encourage them to read or make art about the place you’re traveling to.
2. Nourishment. Healthy snacks are the key to keeping blood sugar levels balanced and kids happy while traveling. Some of my favorites include fresh or dried fruit, natural snack bars, nuts, peanut butter sandwiches, and string cheese. Be sure to pack water and juice boxes too, to keep those little bodies hydrated.
3. First Aid Materials. I learned this one the hard way. Injuries happen when you least expect them to, so it’s good to be prepared. I travel with a small, easily accessible first aid kit that contains Band-Aids, Neosporin, anti-itch cream, and children’s Tylenol or Advil. IF your children have allergies, this would be a great place to keep epiPens or any other medication he or she might need.
4. Extras. Another thing I learned the hard way; always bring extras. This especially holds true for clothes and snacks. Kleenex, diapers, wipes, and other disposables also fall into this category. Think about the length of your travel time and estimate what you’ll need. Then add more.
5. Patience. Sometimes it’s easier said than done, but it’s important to be extra patient with little ones on travel days. Travel can be challenging for everyone, but especially for youngsters who are shaken out of their routines and asked to sit (or stand, or walk) for long periods of time. Being patient with them will help make the journey more pleasant for everyone.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
5 Tips For Learning a New LanguageComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Learning a new language is never easy. Many beginners end up throwing in the towel. If you want to make picking up a new language a little bit more manageable and less of a tongue twister, here are five tips to follow that will have you blabbing in a new language in no time....read more
Extend Your Summer! @VisitFlorida Blogger Kara Franker Talks Ft. LauderdaleComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Planning a Florida getaway CAN be as stress-free as your time spent on the sand. We asked pro wanderer and OneTravel Twitter chat co-host Kara Franker of Kara On the Coast to share her best summer packing tips, first travel experience, and what sets Ft. Lauderdale apart as a vacation destination....read more
7 Exciting Things To Do in Fort LauderdaleComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Fort Lauderdale was once the spring-breaker’s go-to destination. While the city on the southeast coast of Florida still attracts those looking to soak up the sand, sun, surf and maybe a cocktail or two, the city is showing a different crowd another side. From historic homes to mermaid shows, Fort Lauderdale surprises with its rich natural scene, art and culture. You won’t want to miss these seven exciting attractions in town....read more
How Many Airports Does London Actually Have?Comments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
Depending on how you look at it, there are as many as six airports servicing the greater London area. Each one has international flights and only one is actually within the city limits of London. Here's a list of London's six airports along with brief descriptions including proximity to Trafalgar Square (considered by many to be the center of London) to help you determine where to catch your flight....read more
Win a Trip to Ft. Lauderdale with OneTravel and Spirit AirlinesComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Need to work on your tan? OneTravel and Spirit Airlines want to send YOU to the Sunshine State. One lucky contest winner will receive a pair of tickets to Ft. Lauderdale, a city long-recognized for its glistening beaches and vibrant cultural scene....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.