Whether you’re taking a road trip or an international flight, traveling with young children can be both a challenge and a joy. Here are five things to bring with you to add more points to the “joy column” when traveling with youngsters.
1. Distractions. Travel time (by car, train, plane, etc.) can be, let’s face it, kind of boring. Of course, most adults would call this time relaxing. And it still can be, even with youngsters by your side. The key is bringing enough distractions (books, art materials, iPad, etc.) to provide them with something to do. You can even turn this into a learning experience if you encourage them to read or make art about the place you’re traveling to.
2. Nourishment. Healthy snacks are the key to keeping blood sugar levels balanced and kids happy while traveling. Some of my favorites include fresh or dried fruit, natural snack bars, nuts, peanut butter sandwiches, and string cheese. Be sure to pack water and juice boxes too, to keep those little bodies hydrated.
3. First Aid Materials. I learned this one the hard way. Injuries happen when you least expect them to, so it’s good to be prepared. I travel with a small, easily accessible first aid kit that contains Band-Aids, Neosporin, anti-itch cream, and children’s Tylenol or Advil. IF your children have allergies, this would be a great place to keep epiPens or any other medication he or she might need.
4. Extras. Another thing I learned the hard way; always bring extras. This especially holds true for clothes and snacks. Kleenex, diapers, wipes, and other disposables also fall into this category. Think about the length of your travel time and estimate what you’ll need. Then add more.
5. Patience. Sometimes it’s easier said than done, but it’s important to be extra patient with little ones on travel days. Travel can be challenging for everyone, but especially for youngsters who are shaken out of their routines and asked to sit (or stand, or walk) for long periods of time. Being patient with them will help make the journey more pleasant for everyone.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
Foodie Friday: Mexican Ceviche Tacos RecipeComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
You aren’t experiencing the real tastes of Mexico until you’ve noshed on fresh, flavorful ceviche tacos. A staple in tourist destinations like Puerto Vallarta, you’d be hard-pressed NOT to find a local joint that serves this fiesta for your taste buds....read more
3 Beautiful Books for Young TravelersComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
One of my greatest joys in life is fostering my daughter’s curiosity about the world. I like to stock her personal library full of exciting, beautiful books about faraway places. When we’re not traveling, we live vicariously through these treasured books. Here are my top five suggestions for books about other cultures that adults will enjoy just as much as the kids they are reading them to....read more
Eat This, Not That: Foods to Enjoy (or Avoid) During Your FlightComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
It’s important to eat nutritious foods before taking any flight---whether it’s a short domestic flight or a long international flight. Eating a healthy meal before you board the plane regulates your blood sugar and your digestive system and makes you a healthier, happier traveler. It’s also important to pack healthy snacks to enjoy on the plane (so as to avoid the over-processed and expensive food that most airlines serve) and stay well-hydrated throughout your trip....read more
OneTravel Animal of the Week: The Blue-Footed BoobyComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
From its name to its clumsy waddle on land, the blue-footed booby is a funny creature. Here’s what you need to know about this unique little bird....read more
4 Attractions in Puerto Vallarta For Non-Beach GoersComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Most travelers invade Puerto Vallarta for one reason and one reason only. They want to sit on Puerto Vallarta’s sands and soak up the beach life. While Puerto Vallarta features plenty of relaxing beaches to enjoy for beach goers, non-beach goers don’t need to stay home. Puerto Vallarta offers plenty of attractions for those who prefer to steer clear of the beach. Here are four spots that don’t involve sand in your toes in Puerto Vallarta....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.