Traveling with a toddler can be daunting for even the most experienced parents and travelers. However, many families like to take advantage of the fact that airlines don’t charge for passengers under the age of 2 (if they sit on an adult’s lap). It is possible to survive and possibly even enjoy a flight with a toddler. Here are some helpful tips:
• Fly when your toddler usually sleeps: There’s a better chance your wee one will sleep on the plane if you schedule a flight for a time when he or she is already accustomed to sleeping. I tend to think nighttime works best (if your toddler is a good night sleeper). If you schedule a flight for naptime, there is always the chance that your child will be so excited that he or she will decide to forgo the nap. However, if the opposite is true (your child naps soundly, but nighttime sleep is more difficult), then schedule the flight for naptime. If the flight is delayed, your little one can always take a snooze in the airport.
• Pack snacks: Most toddlers I know aren’t interested in airplane food (heck, most adults I know aren’t either!). Make sure to pack your little one’s favorite snacks to stave off hunger and keep everyone in a good mood. Healthy treats without added sugar will help to avoid the high-energy sugar rush/crash. Make sure your kids get enough water to drink, too, since sitting in an airplane tends to be dehydrating.
• Bring along entertainment: Have your toddler help you select his or her favorite books and toys for the plane ride. You may want to set some parameters, such as “choose your favorite two books.” If you have an iPad, load it up with some of these great apps for toddlers.
• Pack extra clothes: Be prepared for the inevitable spills or underwear/diaper leaks by packing extra clothes. Depending on whether your toddler is in underwear or diapers, pack more of these than you think you’ll need. Better safe than sorry! If your luggage is lost, at least you’ll be able to make due with a change of clothes for the next day or so.
• Make the diaper bag your carry-on: Most diaper bags are roomy enough to carry everything your toddler will need while on the plane. You could also slip in a magazine for yourself, if you’re lucky enough to have time to read it! Making the diaper bag your carry-on will reduce the number of bags you’ll have to carry through the airport (which is a plus, especially when you are trying to keep track of toddlers!).
Keep your sense of humor and flexibility about you and all will be well. Have a safe and enjoyable flight!
Follow us on Twitter for more travel tips for you and your toddler!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
Royal Childhood Exhibition at Buckingham PalaceComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Buckingham Palace has now opened its State Rooms to visitors for the 2014 summer season. An annual occurrence, the opening presents a excellent opportunity to tour one of the world's few royal palaces that's still in use as a royal residence while taking in the grandeur and living history of Britain's most famous home....read more
5 Things I Learned in MonacoComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
I’ve had the opportunity to visit Monaco several times during my stints living in and traveling around Europe. Here are seven things I learned about this glamorous vacation spot on the French Riviera....read more
Top 10 Most Useful Gadgets for Avid TravelersComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
With your smart phone in hand, and your tablet in your carry-on bag, you're ready to board the airplane for your trip abroad. Are you prepared for the different voltage requirements of your destination country? Do you have an emergency charger in case you're stuck somewhere without power? From adapters to chargers, and more, here are some gadgets that you shouldn't leave home without....read more
4 Fun and Free Museums to Visit in Los AngelesComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Many travelers head to Los Angeles with ideas of living large like the celebrities who call the city home. They want to experience that magic of the City of Angels without breaking the bank. However, realistic budgets quickly squash those dreams of living large in Los Angeles. While you might not be able to frequent the shops on Rodeo Drive and spend a small fortune, Los Angeles does offer several fun and free museums you can visit to fill up your time in town....read more
7 Last Minute Secret Summer Destinations To Visit Around The GlobeComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Not all of us are planners when it comes to travel. However, in the summer months, you can’t really afford to wing it. Many hotels are booked up or prices for everything from rental cars to flights are sky high in the go-to vacation destinations around the globe. However, there are many last minute destinations that can sweeten the end of your summer. While these destinations might not be the loudest and most well known, but hey provide much enrichment without too much of cost or crowds....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.