Traveling with a toddler can be daunting for even the most experienced parents and travelers. However, many families like to take advantage of the fact that airlines don’t charge for passengers under the age of 2 (if they sit on an adult’s lap). It is possible to survive and possibly even enjoy a flight with a toddler. Here are some helpful tips:
• Fly when your toddler usually sleeps: There’s a better chance your wee one will sleep on the plane if you schedule a flight for a time when he or she is already accustomed to sleeping. I tend to think nighttime works best (if your toddler is a good night sleeper). If you schedule a flight for naptime, there is always the chance that your child will be so excited that he or she will decide to forgo the nap. However, if the opposite is true (your child naps soundly, but nighttime sleep is more difficult), then schedule the flight for naptime. If the flight is delayed, your little one can always take a snooze in the airport.
• Pack snacks: Most toddlers I know aren’t interested in airplane food (heck, most adults I know aren’t either!). Make sure to pack your little one’s favorite snacks to stave off hunger and keep everyone in a good mood. Healthy treats without added sugar will help to avoid the high-energy sugar rush/crash. Make sure your kids get enough water to drink, too, since sitting in an airplane tends to be dehydrating.
• Bring along entertainment: Have your toddler help you select his or her favorite books and toys for the plane ride. You may want to set some parameters, such as “choose your favorite two books.” If you have an iPad, load it up with some of these great apps for toddlers.
• Pack extra clothes: Be prepared for the inevitable spills or underwear/diaper leaks by packing extra clothes. Depending on whether your toddler is in underwear or diapers, pack more of these than you think you’ll need. Better safe than sorry! If your luggage is lost, at least you’ll be able to make due with a change of clothes for the next day or so.
• Make the diaper bag your carry-on: Most diaper bags are roomy enough to carry everything your toddler will need while on the plane. You could also slip in a magazine for yourself, if you’re lucky enough to have time to read it! Making the diaper bag your carry-on will reduce the number of bags you’ll have to carry through the airport (which is a plus, especially when you are trying to keep track of toddlers!).
Keep your sense of humor and flexibility about you and all will be well. Have a safe and enjoyable flight!
Follow us on Twitter for more travel tips for you and your toddler!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
5 Great Authors to Take with You on Your Next TripComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Text messages, emails, tweets, status updates – when's the last time you read something more than a few paragraphs long and solely for the sheer joy of reading it? Got a long haul flight or some time lounging by the pool lined up? Here are five acclaimed travel authors to keep you company....read more
Viva Italia! 5 Reasons to Drop Everything and Visit RomeComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Rome is called The Eternal City for a reason. This vibrant historical and cultural mecca is visited by millions of wide-eyed tourists each year. If you’re still hesitating over booking that flight, we’ve gathered five photos that’ll make you want to walk out of your office and never come back (but please don’t do that). With museums this remarkable and food this drop-dead delicious, everything else can wait....read more
4 Packing Tips for a Truly Happy EasterComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Easter is a popular time to travel, often coinciding with school spring breaks and much needed time away from the office. And as many people will be traveling for the spring holiday, packing for Easter is sometimes akin to walking on eggshells. One false step and you might be hopping to a mall in a mad dash. To eliminate any Easter packing problems, here are four main tips to keep in mind while traveling for this spring holiday....read more
Celebrate Record Store Day in Soho, LondonComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
Fingering your way through crate after crate of vinyl discs in search of that one final piece of sonic perfection that's been eluding your otherwise complete collection of cherished LPs is a lot like hunting for Easter eggs, just way more gratifying to the eardrums. So, it makes sense that this year's Record Store Day – Saturday April 19th – falls on Easter weekend. And should avid rekkid collectors find themselves in London for this momentously musical occasion, they'll be in for a treat!...read more
Foodie Friday: Mexican Ceviche Tacos RecipeComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
You aren’t experiencing the real tastes of Mexico until you’ve noshed on fresh, flavorful ceviche tacos. A staple in tourist destinations like Puerto Vallarta, you’d be hard-pressed NOT to find a local joint that serves this fiesta for your taste buds....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.