Traveling with a toddler can be daunting for even the most experienced parents and travelers. However, many families like to take advantage of the fact that airlines don’t charge for passengers under the age of 2 (if they sit on an adult’s lap). It is possible to survive and possibly even enjoy a flight with a toddler. Here are some helpful tips:
• Fly when your toddler usually sleeps: There’s a better chance your wee one will sleep on the plane if you schedule a flight for a time when he or she is already accustomed to sleeping. I tend to think nighttime works best (if your toddler is a good night sleeper). If you schedule a flight for naptime, there is always the chance that your child will be so excited that he or she will decide to forgo the nap. However, if the opposite is true (your child naps soundly, but nighttime sleep is more difficult), then schedule the flight for naptime. If the flight is delayed, your little one can always take a snooze in the airport.
• Pack snacks: Most toddlers I know aren’t interested in airplane food (heck, most adults I know aren’t either!). Make sure to pack your little one’s favorite snacks to stave off hunger and keep everyone in a good mood. Healthy treats without added sugar will help to avoid the high-energy sugar rush/crash. Make sure your kids get enough water to drink, too, since sitting in an airplane tends to be dehydrating.
• Bring along entertainment: Have your toddler help you select his or her favorite books and toys for the plane ride. You may want to set some parameters, such as “choose your favorite two books.” If you have an iPad, load it up with some of these great apps for toddlers.
• Pack extra clothes: Be prepared for the inevitable spills or underwear/diaper leaks by packing extra clothes. Depending on whether your toddler is in underwear or diapers, pack more of these than you think you’ll need. Better safe than sorry! If your luggage is lost, at least you’ll be able to make due with a change of clothes for the next day or so.
• Make the diaper bag your carry-on: Most diaper bags are roomy enough to carry everything your toddler will need while on the plane. You could also slip in a magazine for yourself, if you’re lucky enough to have time to read it! Making the diaper bag your carry-on will reduce the number of bags you’ll have to carry through the airport (which is a plus, especially when you are trying to keep track of toddlers!).
Keep your sense of humor and flexibility about you and all will be well. Have a safe and enjoyable flight!
Follow us on Twitter for more travel tips for you and your toddler!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
4 Travel Lessons Learned From Christopher Columbus’ MistakesComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Before you set sail on your own travels of discovery, be sure to keep these travel lessons in mind, all learned from the mistakes of Columbus. He might have sailed the ocean blue, but he didn’t always go about travel in the best of ways....read more
5 Scan-tastic Reasons to Visit Sweden's Koster IslandsComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
About a month back I had the pleasure of visiting the Koster Islands, Sweden's most westerly populated (if only sparsely) islands. Just south of the Norwegian coast, it’s a rugged and beautiful part of the world and a great place to “get away from it all” without having to give up on any creature comforts....read more
October is National Poetry Month in Great BritainComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Throughout the month of October, Great Britain celebrates historic and contemporary poets. Founded in 2000, National Poetry Month kicks off on National Poetry Day, which is typically held on the first Thursday of October (this year it was October 2nd). The festivities continue all month long with poetry readings, book releases, library events, and educational opportunities....read more
4 Movie Travel Destinations to Visit in EuropeComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
While being a couch potato, curling up with a bowl of popcorn and a film featuring far away locales has it perks, moviegoers can truly step into the screen by visiting those film locations in person. In particular, Europe tends to make for a pretty backdrop for film and also for adventuring. Here are four film locales where you can play the part of actor or actress all while traveling through some Europe’s most appealing destinations....read more
4 Great Blogs for Travel Tech TipsComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
What's the best gear, app, camera, tablet, SIM card etc for your particular style of travel? I dunno. But maybe one of these bloggers can steer you in the right direction. Here's a list of five of the world's best blogs to read for the latest travel tech tips and trends....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.