Traveling with a toddler can be daunting for even the most experienced parents and travelers. However, many families like to take advantage of the fact that airlines don’t charge for passengers under the age of 2 (if they sit on an adult’s lap). It is possible to survive and possibly even enjoy a flight with a toddler. Here are some helpful tips:
• Fly when your toddler usually sleeps: There’s a better chance your wee one will sleep on the plane if you schedule a flight for a time when he or she is already accustomed to sleeping. I tend to think nighttime works best (if your toddler is a good night sleeper). If you schedule a flight for naptime, there is always the chance that your child will be so excited that he or she will decide to forgo the nap. However, if the opposite is true (your child naps soundly, but nighttime sleep is more difficult), then schedule the flight for naptime. If the flight is delayed, your little one can always take a snooze in the airport.
• Pack snacks: Most toddlers I know aren’t interested in airplane food (heck, most adults I know aren’t either!). Make sure to pack your little one’s favorite snacks to stave off hunger and keep everyone in a good mood. Healthy treats without added sugar will help to avoid the high-energy sugar rush/crash. Make sure your kids get enough water to drink, too, since sitting in an airplane tends to be dehydrating.
• Bring along entertainment: Have your toddler help you select his or her favorite books and toys for the plane ride. You may want to set some parameters, such as “choose your favorite two books.” If you have an iPad, load it up with some of these great apps for toddlers.
• Pack extra clothes: Be prepared for the inevitable spills or underwear/diaper leaks by packing extra clothes. Depending on whether your toddler is in underwear or diapers, pack more of these than you think you’ll need. Better safe than sorry! If your luggage is lost, at least you’ll be able to make due with a change of clothes for the next day or so.
• Make the diaper bag your carry-on: Most diaper bags are roomy enough to carry everything your toddler will need while on the plane. You could also slip in a magazine for yourself, if you’re lucky enough to have time to read it! Making the diaper bag your carry-on will reduce the number of bags you’ll have to carry through the airport (which is a plus, especially when you are trying to keep track of toddlers!).
Keep your sense of humor and flexibility about you and all will be well. Have a safe and enjoyable flight!
Follow us on Twitter for more travel tips for you and your toddler!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
Follow Scotland's Historic Malt Whisky TrailComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
The world famous and one of a kind Malt Whisky Trail in Scotland passes through seven Speyside working distilleries, as well as a historic distillery and Britain's only cooperage. Though hardly inclusive of the numerous distilleries in the Speyside area, the trailserves as an excellent spine through the region. Indeed, any visit to all of the venues along this stretch of green Scottish countryside would result in plenty of knowledge about a Scottish and a wealth of memories....read more
Spotlight on Spain: FlamencoComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
One of my most memorable evenings in another country was the one I spent in a flamenco club in Granada. Everything about the performance captivated me, from the intricate guitar melodies to the expressive vocalizations to the precise hand movements and declarative stomps of the dancers. Flamenco is an extremely rich and captivating part of Spanish culture....read more
Stay, See, Savor: 24 Hours in AustinComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
A dynamic and eclectic city that is steeped in history, Austin is one of the true gems of Texas. You’ll definitely want to spend more than twenty-four hours here, but if that’s all you’ve got, here are my suggestions for where to stay, what to see, and what to savor....read more
5 Big Exhibitions in London NowComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
This week sees the annual Frieze Art Fair descend upon London. With it comes a scope of art related activities and satellite events across town with some of London's best known galleries taking advantage of this time of heightened buzz to put on their biggest shows of the year. Here's a list of five of the biggest exhibitions around town that are on now and well worth checking out....read more
4 Travel Lessons Learned From Christopher Columbus’ MistakesComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Before you set sail on your own travels of discovery, be sure to keep these travel lessons in mind, all learned from the mistakes of Columbus. He might have sailed the ocean blue, but he didn’t always go about travel in the best of ways....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.