Traveling with a toddler can be daunting for even the most experienced parents and travelers. However, many families like to take advantage of the fact that airlines don’t charge for passengers under the age of 2 (if they sit on an adult’s lap). It is possible to survive and possibly even enjoy a flight with a toddler. Here are some helpful tips:
• Fly when your toddler usually sleeps: There’s a better chance your wee one will sleep on the plane if you schedule a flight for a time when he or she is already accustomed to sleeping. I tend to think nighttime works best (if your toddler is a good night sleeper). If you schedule a flight for naptime, there is always the chance that your child will be so excited that he or she will decide to forgo the nap. However, if the opposite is true (your child naps soundly, but nighttime sleep is more difficult), then schedule the flight for naptime. If the flight is delayed, your little one can always take a snooze in the airport.
• Pack snacks: Most toddlers I know aren’t interested in airplane food (heck, most adults I know aren’t either!). Make sure to pack your little one’s favorite snacks to stave off hunger and keep everyone in a good mood. Healthy treats without added sugar will help to avoid the high-energy sugar rush/crash. Make sure your kids get enough water to drink, too, since sitting in an airplane tends to be dehydrating.
• Bring along entertainment: Have your toddler help you select his or her favorite books and toys for the plane ride. You may want to set some parameters, such as “choose your favorite two books.” If you have an iPad, load it up with some of these great apps for toddlers.
• Pack extra clothes: Be prepared for the inevitable spills or underwear/diaper leaks by packing extra clothes. Depending on whether your toddler is in underwear or diapers, pack more of these than you think you’ll need. Better safe than sorry! If your luggage is lost, at least you’ll be able to make due with a change of clothes for the next day or so.
• Make the diaper bag your carry-on: Most diaper bags are roomy enough to carry everything your toddler will need while on the plane. You could also slip in a magazine for yourself, if you’re lucky enough to have time to read it! Making the diaper bag your carry-on will reduce the number of bags you’ll have to carry through the airport (which is a plus, especially when you are trying to keep track of toddlers!).
Keep your sense of humor and flexibility about you and all will be well. Have a safe and enjoyable flight!
Follow us on Twitter for more travel tips for you and your toddler!
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
Check Please! How To Ask For The Bill in 13 LanguagesComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Here is how you can ask for the check in thirteen languages. By knowing how to ask for the bill, you can avoid waiting at your table for hours on end without being given the check....read more
Animal of the Week: Lunita the Three-Fingered SlothComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Our idea of heaven happens to look remarkably like the Sloth Sanctuary of Costa Rica, whose mission is to rescue and rehabilitate nature’s most chill creatures. It’s also the place Lunita, an impossibly cute orphaned baby sloth, calls home....read more
Love Is In the Air! ‘She Is Going Places’ On Planning a Vacation for TwoComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Planning a vacation for two can be as seamless as your love. We asked pro wanderer and OneTravel Twitter chat co-host Michele Herrmann of She Is Going Places to share her best tips for an argument-free vacation, favorite cities for couples, and the romantic attractions you can’t afford to miss....read more
4 Munich Budget Savers to Pack in Your LederhosenComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Munich can drain a wallet faster than a twenty something can glug down that liter beer at Oktoberfest. Travelers shouldn’t write off Munich or pass it by on the autobahn due to cost. Here are a few very simple yet substantial budget savers to put in place on your visit to Munich....read more
5 Sensational Blogs about Los AngelesComments: 1Rating: 0 / 0
Los Angeles is a fantastic city but unless you know it well can prove a heck of a tough one to explore. Why just stick to the beach and major attractions when there's so much more to see and do? Here are six blogs about LA and by Angelinos to help you make the most of your visit to La La Land! For this list I tried to look past the many big media blogs and all the gossipy celebrity obsessed sites and really try to focus on blogs that offer the best insider perspective for folks visiting from out of town. I hope you find these blogs to be fun and useful reads!...read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.