I’ve had the opportunity to visit Monaco several times during my stints living in and traveling around Europe. Here are seven things I learned about this glamorous vacation spot on the French Riviera.
1. It’s a principality and a country. You can put that middle school geography debate to rest now: Monaco is both a principality and a country. In fact, it’s the second smallest country in the world (behind Vatican City). Monaco is bordered by France on the north, south and west, and the Mediterranean Sea is to its east. The wealthy constitutional monarchy, with a population of under 38,000, has been ruled for centuries by the Grimaldi family.
2. People from Monaco are not called “Monacans.” Unlike me, you probably knew this before setting foot in Monaco. All the same, it’s important to note that the term used to describe people who are native to Monaco is Monegasque. However, the Monegasques only make up about a fifth of Monaco’s total population. Someone who is born in a foreign country but obtains legal residency in Monaco (many wealthy foreigners do this for tax purposes) is referred to as Monacoian.
3. Bono and The Edge have a tunnel that connects their mansions. Speaking of wealthy foreigners, rockers Bono and The Edge (of U2 fame) have adjacent mansions in Monaco that are connected by a not-so-secret underground tunnel.
4. Be sure to rub Louis XIV for good luck. OK, well, at least the bronze statue of him atop a horse that stands outside the stunning Belle Époque-style Hôtel de Paris. The Monte Carlo Casino’s most successful gamblers swear by this ritual.
5. Don’t leave Monaco without trying Barbagiuan. Barbagiuan (also spelled Barbajuan) is the national dish of Monaco. I like to think of it as a Monegasque empanada. It’s made from fried pastry dough stuffed with Swiss chard, spinach, ricotta and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses, onions and leeks. I think it’s best enjoyed paired with a glass of dry rosé.
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
What To Do If Your Luggage Is Lost At The AirportComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Lost luggage is all too common of a reality for the air traveler. If you find yourself in this position, don’t panic. Here are four steps you should follow when your bag doesn’t roll down the carousel....read more
3 Markets to Visit in Seville, SpainComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Here are my suggestions for three different markets to visit while you’re in Seville. One word of advice: take your time and savor every sight, sound, smell, touch and taste. You’ll remember them for years to come....read more
7 Sensational Wine Bars in LondonComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Want to be the toast of the town during your next visit to London? Keep this septet of wine bars in mind! Cheers....read more
3 Football Attractions To Touch Down at in the U.S.Comments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Across the country, there are a number of spots that pay tribute to American football. If you want to be a true fan, you can touch down at these three football meccas in the United States....read more
Shopping in Italy: 8 Phrases You Need To KnowComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Shopping is a fine art in the boot-shaped country. Before you jet off and try to fumble your way into buying what you want, be sure to master these eight Italian phrases for shopping....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.