Let’s be honest, some tourist attractions are well worth experiencing, but others are simply a waste of time and money. Rest assured, even the most seasoned traveler falls prey to tourist traps from time to time (or perhaps I’m just speaking for this seasoned traveler). However, there are some tried and true techniques you can use to avoid tourist traps the next time you’re in an unfamiliar place. Here are my top five suggestions.
1. Talk to someone who has been there before. If possible, before you leave for your trip, talk to someone (or, better yet, several people) who has been to your destination to find out what is worth seeing and what you can skip. In addition to finding out what to avoid, ask them specific questions about what you should do/see/eat. Be sure to make a list (I use the notepad on my iPhone to make sure that I will have the list with me when I travel).
2. Rely on your favorite bloggers. If you don’t know anyone who has been to the place you will be traveling to, check to see if your favorite travel bloggers have written anything on the topic. (Of course, the OneTravel Blog is a great place to start!)
3. Consult reputable, theme-specific guidebooks. Many general guidebooks mention some tourist traps simply because they are “the thing to do” (but they don’t have to be the thing that you do) in a certain place. Seek out quality, theme-specific guidebooks that will give you suggestions for things to do that you will actually interest you. For example, if you are a foodie, consult a guidebook that is designed specifically for those who want to learn about the culinary traditions of a particular place.
4. Mingle with the locals. Once you’re at your destination, chat with the locals to get the straight scoop on what should be experienced and what should best be avoided. Keep in mind, however, that some locals who work in the tourist industry (restaurant staff, taxi drivers, etc.) may have deals or allegiances with certain tourist traps.
5. Trust your gut. Only you know what you want to get out of a trip. If you get to a place and it seems like it’s not for you, don’t do it.
Get new posts delivered by email:
Top Travel Deals on RSS
What To Do If Your Luggage Is Lost At The AirportComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Lost luggage is all too common of a reality for the air traveler. If you find yourself in this position, don’t panic. Here are four steps you should follow when your bag doesn’t roll down the carousel....read more
3 Markets to Visit in Seville, SpainComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Here are my suggestions for three different markets to visit while you’re in Seville. One word of advice: take your time and savor every sight, sound, smell, touch and taste. You’ll remember them for years to come....read more
7 Sensational Wine Bars in LondonComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Want to be the toast of the town during your next visit to London? Keep this septet of wine bars in mind! Cheers....read more
3 Football Attractions To Touch Down at in the U.S.Comments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Across the country, there are a number of spots that pay tribute to American football. If you want to be a true fan, you can touch down at these three football meccas in the United States....read more
Shopping in Italy: 8 Phrases You Need To KnowComments: 0Rating: 0 / 0
Shopping is a fine art in the boot-shaped country. Before you jet off and try to fumble your way into buying what you want, be sure to master these eight Italian phrases for shopping....read more
California: CST #2090295-40, Nevada: SOT #2007-0081, Iowa: SOT #883, Washington: SOT #6027859380010001
Some of the content posted herein are the views and opinions of the individual blogger's and do not represent the views and opinions of OneTravel. It may be the case that OneTravel is partnering with a particular travel supplier mentioned in a blog post, however, all views and opinions expressed herein by parties other then OneTravel are by the respective bloggers.
© 2014 W K Travel, Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright for all material appearing on this website is owned by W K Travel, Inc. Persons accessing this website are authorized to view and print material from this website for information purposes only. Any other use of this material is restricted to non-commercial purposes and must include this copyright notice.
W K Travel Inc. owns the following Trademarks and Servicemarks appearing on this website:
OneTravel, OneTravel.com, and 1Travel. Trademarks and servicemarks for all other products and services appearing on this website are the trademarks and servicemarks of their respective owners.